Friday, June 17, 2011

Sustainable Consumerism

Sustainable consumerism is the ability of an individual to take into account all the issues involved in making a decision when shopping.  This means that one will think of the impact that buying an item will have on the environment as well as other individuals.  People become more environmentally aware of how their shopping impacts people. 

Globalization and capitalism are negative drivers in this phenomenon.  Because companies want to push their items, they are making them very desirable.  This forces individuals to want only one item, which in turn makes them forget about sustainable consumerism.  People don't care were the product comes from as long as they get what they want. 

Green washing is the false advertising of companies on their products, stating that they are green or eco-friendly.  This happens so companies can hide when they are not doing environmentally friendly services.  This leads consumers to buy the product under false pretenses. 

When it comes to foods labeled organic, local, or fair-trade I would pay a premium, but it depends on what the product is.  If it was along the lines of cow by-products, then I would pay a premium to avoid the hormones that are pumped into it.  But when it comes to other products, it would depend on the product and the difference between organic and the non-organic product.  I'm generally not very picky when it comes to my food. 

I prefer to go to major chain stores over mom and pop shops.  Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on the person) chains generally offer the same products, so no matter what you know you can get what you want.  Also there are no mom and pop shops in the area in which I live.  I do like to eat at local restaurants as opposed to chain restaurants.  The quality of food and price tends to be better at local restaurants, as well as the service is always better.  They type of store/restaurant depends on the situation. 

By not buying locally, I'm hurting the locally economy, as well as harming the planet.  If I were to buy locally, I am reducing food miles and general product miles.  If I were to be more aware of the choices I had when shopping I could be helping the planet and fellow man.  Overall I need to start being more aware of the choices I make while shopping and try to buy locally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment