Friday, June 17, 2011

Estero Island and Matanzas Pass


Estero Island Cottage and Matanzas Pass were very interesting.  It was very interesting learning about the history of the island, especially from someone that has lived there for years.  We got a first hand experience of the way the island has changed over the years.  It was nice seeing that after much of the island was urbanized, that people wanted to preserve a part of the land. 

Seeing this area of land that was preserved within all this built up area was a really nice experience.  Its almost like having a park in the middle of a huge city.  Its weird walking through the pass and hearing cars in the background.

The local quality of life is being enhanced as they have dug areas for fish to come in and eat mosquito's, to control the mosquito population.  The area also provides an area for local wildlife to live, this way they can thrive in their natural habitat.  Especially since the land has been taken away from the natural wildlife.  The pass is the last remaining area on the island that is all natural. 

My hometown hasn't actually changed much from when I was a child.  There really hasn't been any development in my area.  I come from a small town in Michigan, and they couldn't afford to build much.  And they actually preserved a lot.  The schools have access to different wooded areas, and there is a public beach that has been there forever.  My hometown has been almost preserved in a sense.  While my hometown isn't very big, I don't really feel a sense of community.  It is big enough to were not everyone know each other, and the community didn't do a whole lot to bring its citizens together. 

I don't care how much money is offered to me, I would never sell my childhood home.  I would almost spend any amount of money I could to get it back.  I love my childhood home and so many happy and good memories there, and I still miss that house to that day.  I personally feel you can not put a price on memories.  Even if the county approached me about buying my home back, I still would not.  I lived next to a big wooded area and that in my mind is a enough conservation of the land.  I could not personally sell that home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment